Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Ode to the Family (September)

Its true what they say about "the institution of the family". We can choose our friends but we can't choose our family. Traditions and Norms dictate that we must love and honour our family in spite of their idiosyncrasies!!

Someone sent me a forwarded email today about family...how we take them for granted yet we are so dear and kind to our friends and neighbours. Its my A-Ha moment!!! This blog is thus a special dedication to my family members near and far. Pseudonyms will be used to spare the nominees' blushes!! Obviously, I can't write an ode to all!!...so, this is Chapter 1. Stay tuned family. I will honour 2 family members each month. There is no order of importance to this tribute -- you are all special. If you want to nominate someone from the family for the October Ode, please email or text me!!! Deadline for nominations will be on 27 September 2007. The selection of nominees is at the author's discretion. The author's choice is final. So watch this space.

The month of September is dedicated to 2 special persons in the family. Nicknamed "Resilient" and "Eccentric"... I hope I do justice to them.

"Resilient". It's very difficult to write about this lady. Despite the "resilient" tag, i called her a doormat sometimes. Yup! right smack infront of her face. Why?? I do get angry especially when people take advantage of her and she just turn the other cheek!! It irritates me!! If its me, I won't take it!!! I admire her patience and loyalty. Recently, she advised me "don't hate people because they are rotten to you. You must remember that these people were kind to you in the past. We must honour the goodness in people" Wow!!! I don't know whether I have the capacity to look beyond the nastiness!! She is an inspiration!!

"Eccentric". Now, this label suits this person to a T. People always underestimate her!! She is not very vocal and she can be extremely stubborn. However, despite these flaws... she is generous to her family and friends. Her generousity is very subtle and unassuming. One thing for sure she knows what she wants and she will go for it no matter what people say!! Perhaps tenacity can be a good trait.

To be Continued

No comments: