Wednesday, September 5, 2007

BOOK WORM



For those of you who know me, I lOVE BOOKS. I am a self-confessed book worm. I am also an avid and voracious reader. I must admit that I have an eclectic taste when it comes to books. I read everything - fiction, thriller, chick flicks, suspense, crime, detective, paranormal, sci-fi, UFO, kid stuff, philosophy, autobiography, history, romance, self-help books and cartoons. I am not a snob when it comes to genre. In short, I love all genre and books give me the greatest pleasure and contentment.

I spend a lot of money on books and magazines. Somehow, I don't grudge this "addiction". The pursuit of happiness for me is reading. Recently, I have come across THREE interesting books which were incidentally recommended by my favourite person--OPRAH.

1
. The Inconvenient Truth By Al Gore
2.
Do You! By Russell Simmons
3.
The Secret By Rhonda Byrne

Obviously, I have to have THEM!!! I was fortunate that a friend has ALL THREE BOOKS! :)
Borrowed the books and devoured the contents in no time. My comments are as follows;


DO YOU! by Russell Simmons

Simmons was featured in Newsweek recently. He is a successful entrepreneur in the USA. It is interesting to read the inner working of this enterprising person. He is also a very rich man and is recently single!!(hehehehe). That's why I chose to read this book first.

The book is easy to read; Blending business insight, universal spiritual truths and an inspired sense of purpose DO YOU! crosses the lines of age, race and background with wisdom that will lift you up and motivate you to pursue your vision. I recommend this book to everyone. 5 STARS



THE SECRET by Rhonda Byrne

This is a self-help book and it is kinda new age in its approach. This book has created a lot of buzz to book worms around the world. When I finally got the book in my hand, I was a bit apprehensive to read it. I was scared that it might be just a big hype or marketing gimmick. The Secret does not disappoint. The Secret reveals to her readers how to obtain the good life by attracting only the things in your life you want. 5 STARS


AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH By Al Gore

Al Gore in the opening monologue of An Inconvenient Truth writes, " You look at that river gently flowing by. You notice the leaves rustling with the wind. You hear the birds; you hear the tree frogs. In the distance you hear a cow. You feel the grass. The mud gives a little bit on the river bank. It’s quiet; it’s peaceful. And all of a sudden, it’s a gear shift inside you. And it’s like taking a deep breath and going, "Oh yeah, I forgot about this."

I like this particular passage because I think its very poignant. We have taken so much from mother nature and i think its pertinent we protect our earth. We have to educate our children that conservation is our duty and responsibility.

I came across this wise Cree Indian proverb when I was at university. This proverb has stayed with me like forever. It says....


Only when the last tree has been cut down
Only after the last river has been poisoned
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find
That money cannot be eaten


Al Gore's book and this proverb carry the same message. We have to be diligent in conserving our common future. An Inconvenient Truth focuses on Al Gore and his travels in support of his efforts to educate the public about the severity of the climate crisis. This book is a bit dry in some parts but it's worth to plod on. It's an interesting read. Because I love nature and I think Al Gore is right....I give this book 5 STARS.







No comments: