Thursday, January 10, 2008

Kids! Kids! Kids!

Kids can be our greatest joy, pests and irritants!!! hee hee. DON'T GET ME WRONG, i love kids in general and i am extremely fond of those that I know. Personally, I have some up close and personal relationships with different types of children --"plucked chickens" a.k.a newly borns/babies - hee hee, toddlers, kids and teenagers!! Kids or children in general are like the four seasons - they can be very unpredictable; changelings; tempestuous and temperamental.....one minute they can be very loveable, cute, angelic, fun and the next, they can be boisterous, annoying, quarrelsome, mischievous, envious, pesky, sulky, cry-babies, stubborn, telling tales, self-absorbed and spoilt!! I will be alternately going between aahhhh (so cute) or grrrrrrr (clenching my teeth!!!)

I will shout it from the top of a mountain that I love peace and quiet!! I also like round the clock well-behaved children -- what am i saying is so totally against the grain!!! Misbehaving and children go hand in hand together!!! They can be good for a few hours and then, it's back to normal selves!! When they are very, very, quiet, be on alert...it's dangerous!! They are up to something!!! Anyway, when they misbehave --well, i try my utmost best to be very patient, accomodating, ignore them, bear and grin it, so to speak....but when its a continuous misdemeanour -- its grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! roooaaaarrrrr!!!

Recently, I was on hols with 2 (TWO) kids (age 11 and age 6) on my own for (3) THREE whole days!!! Usually, I have help -- maids and family members. Can you imagine the pounding headche..no scrap that, the migraine (on my part that is!!!); imagine also the constant whinging, moaning and groaning and not forgetting the petty fights; imagine too poor moi getting stressed and very, very, exhausted!!!!! By the end of the day, it's not surprising that I was a total wreck, extremely knackered and very, very shattered!!! Morever, its amazing, despite them pleading "fatique" when i mentioned the word "shopping", when these magic words "ice cream", "play" and "Macdonald" were uttered.....hey presto! they were suddenly so full of energy.....its like live wire -- What's the fairness in that??!!!



Plate 1: Child no 1, H age 11


Plate 2: Child no. 2, A age 6.


Having said that though, I enjoyed the me time together with the kids. It was fun although I admit that I lost it a couple of times when I couldn't handle the squabbling, the pushing and the pinching between the two kids, the crying, the sulks and the telling-tales!! Kids huh!!! It was a good adventure for the three of us - the two kids and I. Adults are so very jaded and blase about life and stuff. I think in some sense we have lost that starry dust in our eyes. Not so with kids. It was indeed wonderful to re-experience things with the kids. The looks in their eyes, the excitement, the sense of wonder, the joy, the laughter and the fun of experiencing new stuff in their young lives. I am grateful to be able to experience those first time feelings with them again!!!

What have I learnt about my time alone with the kids??? Despite, sending lots of text messages telling tales of woes to loved ones, don't expect any sympathy or empathy but to expect laughter and mockeries from the so-called loved ones. I vow not take the help/assistance from family members and maids for granted ever again!! They are God send. I salute mothers, especially single-mothers all over the world. They deserve a special day dedicated to them. Looking after children is no easy task and i also salute parents world wide for their patience, endurance, support and love for their kids. Here, I record my greatest appreciation and thank to my parents. I kow tow to them.


No comments: